Re: [tlug] Howto on Gentoo i18n

On Fri, 25 Jul 2003 12:24:13 +0200
David Oftedal <david@example.com> wrote:

> Under the clever guise of asking for hints on
> improvements, I shall proceed to show it off.
> http://home.no.net/david/i18n.html

If you want to improve on it, the first thing would be to change your
attitude toward the reader and stop treating him/her like an idiot. (e.g.
my_stupid_program)

> Yes, there are other servers and frontends. Do we care? No.
Some people do care. Your title says "Internationalization in Gentoo" and
you write about input methods and such but then suddenly you don't care.
Somewhat bizarre.
For example this guy did care:
http://www.cs.ubc.ca/~kdeeter/gentoo-jap-guide/
You could provide a link to the above and maybe some other related pages.

> However, you really need the LANG to be ja_JP, and perhaps even
> LANGUAGE=ja_JP, in order to get the fonts displayed correctly in all
> programs.
This is not really true. You forgot to talk about LC_CTYPE, because this
is the one mostly related to fonts and mojibake. And some people will want
English menus with Japanese support (input/output). You might want to talk
about this too.

--
B0Ti.