Re: [tlug] apache2 setup and japanese charset

> Thanks for that info. (Though I have to apologize for a slight
> thread hijacking here.) Would that mean that the Japanese
> "manga" and Korean "manhwa" would look the same in Unicode,
> for instance?

Well, if they still wrote manhwa in kanji instead of hangul, it
would be the same. A better example is "bank", which is used in
kanji in Chinese, Japanese and Korean. Or "weather", tenki in
Japanese or tian qi in Chinese.

Putting them all into one character set has its advantages.
There are lots of loanwords from Chinese in Japanese and Korean,
it would be a shame to duplicate every word.

> That's a rather funny way of unifying three alphabets, though, just
> unifying them in an encoding and waiting for the countries to adopt
> it. Mao couldn't have done it better. :D

Actually, the Koreans are very pro Unicode. They actually tried
to get Microsoft to use Unicode for Windows 95 in Korea.

> -Dave

Jake