RE: [tlug] apache2 setup and japanese charset

Amit>I had exactly same problem when we shifted our JSPs and some static

Amit>pages to linux/tomcat. Putting <meta http-equiv="Content-Type"
Amit>content="text/html; charset=Shift_JIS"> in all the pages worked for
me,
Amit>I didn't have to change anything else

James> The problem I just found is that there is also a PHP default
James> characterset. The original e-mail didn't specify about html
James> or php but if you still have the problem with php check that.

I think you're right about PHP setting. I also had a similar
problem long time ago. As I wrote previously
what counts the most is the HTTP header, not the HTTP
body. <meta/> tag is inside HTTP body. It doesn't matter
what it says in <meta/> tag if the charset in HTTP header
says different thing.

You can either set that at PHP conf file or programmatically
set the HTTP header
using one of PHP methods.

-mune