[tlug] Novell letter to SCO - "You don't own it anyway"

This was sent my way. Relevant to past discussions about SCO's claim on
certain portions of code included in Linux.

The full letter is at:
http://www.novell.com/news/press/archive/2003/05/pr03033.html

Here's a snippet.

> Novell Challenges SCO Position, Reiterates Support for Linux
>
> PROVO, Utah - May 28, 2003 - Defending its interests in developing
> services to operate on the Linux platform, Novell today issued a dual
> challenge to The SCO Group over its recent statements regarding its
> UNIX ownership and potential intellectual property rights claims over
> Linux.
>
> First, Novell challenged SCO's assertion that it owns the copyrights
> and patents to UNIX System V, pointing out that the asset purchase
> agreement entered into between Novell and SCO in 1995 did not
> transfer these rights to SCO. Second, Novell sought from SCO facts to
> back up its assertion that certain UNIX System V code has been copied
> into Linux. Novell communicated these concerns to SCO via a letter
> (text below) from NovellŪ Chairman and CEO Jack Messman in response
> to SCO making these claims.
>
> "To Novell's knowledge, the 1995 agreement governing SCO's purchase
> of UNIX from Novell does not convey to SCO the associated
> copyrights," Messman said in the letter. "We believe it unlikely that
> SCO can demonstrate that it has any ownership interest whatsoever in
> those copyrights. Apparently you share this view, since over the last
> few months you have repeatedly asked Novell to transfer the
> copyrights to SCO, requests that Novell has rejected."

Sam Tilders
sam@example.com

Cogito Ergo Sum - I think, therefore I am.  (Descartes)