[tlug] True Type Fonts in rh9

Hi Tlugers,

It's been a while since my last post.  Today I thought about posting regarding
true type fonts.  I am trying to use the M$win true type fonts with Redhat
9.0., Not sure if this is possible?  I used some procedure I found in a web
site.  I've enclosed the procedure is a modified version for my case. This
procedure worked but the font.dir file generated by ttmkfdir shows a zero
byte length a second file created by this procedure fontscale was generated
without any fuzz.

When I got to step 5  an error occurs, it was unable to add the the path.

  ./chkfontpath --add /usr/winfont  (performed as root in a terminal window)

  chkfontpath: error opening /usr/winfont/fonts.dir, unwilling to add path

Has anyone been able to use True Type fonts with Rh9, if so could you trow in
some tips?

Thanks in advance.

Eric.

---Proceudre---

Using TrueType Fonts with Red Hat 9.0

This is a modified procedure of http://www.kegel.com/linux/tt.html original's
Using True Type Fonts with Red Hat 6.0

1.Become root.
2.Create a directory in the /usr directory and named it /usr/winfont
3.Goto to your windows pc and zip all the fonts or make them available in a
shared directory for the linux pc under samba.  Transfer the zipped file or
fonts to your linux pc and store them in the /usr/winfont directory.

1.Create the directories /usr/winfont with the command 'mkdir /usr/winfont'.

4.Go to the directory containing the TrueType fonts you want to add, and use
ttmkfdir to create the font directory file needed by xfs. For instance:

  cd /usr/winfont
  /usr/sbin/ttmkfdir > fonts.dir

5.Add the new font directory to xfs's search path with chkfontpath --add. For
instance:

  /usr/sbin/chkfontpath --add /usr/winfont

You can verify the new fonts exist by running xfontsel or kde's font manager,
or in Netscape by going to Edit/Preferences/Fonts. (If you can't get Netscape
to use the new fonts, make sure you have it set to not override the fonts
picked by web pages.)

If you add more fonts to that directory later, you'll need to rereun ttmkfdir,
and restart the font server with the command:

  /etc/rc.d/init.d/xfs restart

If you want your new fonts to override the old fonts, you'll need to rearrange
the order of lines in the 'catalog' line of the file managed by chkfontpath,
/etc/X11/fs/config. For instance, it might contain

catalogue = /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/misc:unscaled,
        /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/100dpi:unscaled,
        /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/75dpi:unscaled,
        /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/misc,
        /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/Type1,
        /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/Speedo,
        /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/75dpi,
        /dos/c/Windows/fonts

To get the TrueType fonts in /dos/c/Windows/fonts to be used instead of other
fonts, move it ahead of the other directories:

catalogue = /dos/c/Windows/fonts ,
        /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/misc:unscaled,
        /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/100dpi:unscaled,
        /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/75dpi:unscaled,
        /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/misc,
        /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/Type1,
        /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/Speedo,
        /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/75dpi

and restart the font server with the command /etc/rc.d/init.d/xfs restart

Note: one user reports that Netscape's Java has trouble with some TrueType
fonts, and that moving the 75dpi or 100dpi fonts to near the top of the list
avoids the problem. Not sure if this is really true.

For more info, see the Red Hat 6.0 font support whitepaper and the 'xfs' and
'chkfontpath' man pages.