Re: [tlug] System Administration exercises (sorry I forgot something)

On Fri, 23 May 2003 12:19:18 +0200
Pietro Zuco <pietro@example.com> wrote:
Subject: Re: [tlug] System Administration exercises (sorry I forgot something)
> Pietro Zuco wrote:
> > Hi.

> > I was googling a lot (maybe it was not enough) to look for some exercises
> > for the people that want to improve or learn system administration.
> > In my job I have to administer a little network over Linux and as a
> > second job by telnet a remote system (in the same city I'm living now)

Telnet!?!?  Use SSH and disable telnet - we'll *all* sleep better.

> > with a group of peacefull users so I can't really improve my knowledge
> > in terms of security and all the topics of system administration.
> > I know there are plenty of manuals, books and texts about security and
> > system administration, but I didn't find exercises. I mean usefull
> > exercises, because everyone can playing with commands, but sometimes
> > that is not enough to learn and dominate some topics.
>
> Sorry I forgot to say that I was looking for "Free Online exercises" ;)

Why don't you set up a box at home and give accounts to friends and family?
I host a bunch of websites for friends of varying levels of technical skill and it's helped me learn a *lot* over the past few years.
When you get comfortable with a truly multi-user system, you could offer to admin/host for a small non-profit group and do email, web, FTP and such.  As long as they know that you are learning and can't offer guaranteed reliability, you will gain 'real-world' experience while you help out a group in need.
Good luck,
Jim

> -Pietro-

Jim O'Connell