Re: [tlug] Master and slave

Jonathan Q wrote:

>>I was told adding a CDROM (or DVD) as primary slave would slow down the
>>harddisk access.
>
> That is correct  ... IDE/ATA does not allow simultaneous
access by more than one device

True, but this relates to access on the same IDE channel no? I was
always under the impression that two disks on two different IDE/ATA
channels can process requests simultaneously on most motherboards. So
that the "proper" setup for a PC with one HDD and one CD-ROM (and two
IDE channels (controllers?)) was to put the HDD and CD-ROM on different
channels to avoid perfomance hits.

As a reference I use:

http://www.pcguide.com/ref/hdd/if/ide/confRecommendations-c.html

--