[tlug] Master and slave

Good morning,
If I am not wrong, "usually" the following setup of IDE devices can be found
in new computers:

Harddisk: primary master
CDROM: secondary master
DVD: secondary slave
I was told adding a CDROM (or DVD) as primary slave would slow down the
harddisk access.

Reading in SuSE 8.2 Pro's administration handbook, it says "such a setup is
wrong", there should be no gap between, first device as primary master,
second device as primary slave, third device as secondary master, and so on.

Did I eventually misunderstand something or is the "usual setup" a Windows
setup ? Does a slave slow down its master or not ?

Thanks for your comments.
Michael