RE: [tlug] Master and slave

>Unless there is some missing context, the SuSE handbook you referenced
appears to be wrong on this point, and whether it is Windows or not has no
bearing; it's a matter of how the ATA bus works.

I will cite the context - to make sure that I didn't overlook an important
point:

SuSE 8.2 Pro Administration Guide p.25

<ATAPI CD-ROM Hangs While Reading
If your ATAPI CD-ROM is not recognized or it hangs while reading, this is
most frequently due to incorrectly installed hardware. All devices must be
connected to the EIDE controller in the correct order. The first device is
master on the first controller. The second device is slave on the first
controller. The third device should be master on the second controller, and
so forth.
It often occurs that there is only a CD-ROM besides the first device. The
CD-ROM drive is sometimes connected as master to the second controller
(secondary IDE controller). This is wrong and can cause Linux not to know
what to do with this "gap".>