RE: [tlug] VPN appliance and network connection suggestions?

-----Original Message-----
From: Sven Simon [mailto:sven@example.com]
Sent: Friday, March 14, 2003 2:49 PM
To: tlug@example.com
Subject: Re: [tlug] VPN appliance and network connection suggestions?

Quoting Patrick Niessen <patrick.niessen@example.com>:

> NTT B-Flets offer 10M or 100M Fibre optics connection.  Not sure about
>
> availability guarantees (probably none or minimal).  100M for business
> should
> cost you around 60,000 Yen, If you get away with the family package, you
>
> might only pay half of that (but then don't have a fixed IP).
>
> Patrick

Since we depend on minimal latency (hopefully ~150ms to the states)
and high reliability we can't go with anything like B-Flets or Usen.

Well, Usen has a business service, too I heard. Maybe they offer some
SLA... will check. But for a real backbone connection we'll probably
have to go with a tier 1 provider. Anyone tried Internap
(www.internap.co.jp)?

Using NTT form our office here in tokyo pinging california 64.62.134.228
with 32 bytes time average = best 148 MS to worst 515 MS sending 4 packets 4
times

Pinging yahoo.com 64.58.79.230 from the same location same set 4x4 32 bytes
I got 411 to 755 MS.

Pinging the above yahoo.com IP from the california location 64.62.134.228 I
got 62-66MS.

If that is usefeul or not I don't know from California it is 8 hops from
here it is 20 hops doing a traceroute to Yahoo.  Of course there could be
some internal firewall and routing effects since I did this from behind a
firewall in both locations, but not major effects I hope.  I think your
results will varry depending on your provider in the US also, if you are
using cable and wireless there for example, I would think you would have a
more direct route also using it here rather than someone else.  It would be
nice if there was a way to have the carriers send you a traceroute from
their location to your US location, that might give you some idea.

Hope that helps

James