[tlug] c++ compile prolem

Sorry to ask such a basic question, but short of learning c++
there's not much I can do.

I need to install some c++ programmes and I've hit a compile error.

XMap.cc: In method `XMap::XMap(int)':
XMap.cc:32: ANSI C++ forbids implicit conversion from `void *' in
assignment
*** Error code 1

Stop in /web/standard/www.pacifica.co.jp/temporary/freya-0.92.4/src.

Using:
gcc version 2.95.3 20010315 (release) [FreeBSD]

This is code section below, the error line, line 32, is
higlighted with ***  I assume off_t is standard type, it's not
defined in the source anywhere. I've fiddled with compile options
to no avail.

Thanks,
Brett

XMap::XMap(int filedesc)
     : fd(filedesc)
{
     struct stat st;
     fstat(fd, &st);
     mapsize = st.st_size;
     entryNum = mapsize / ENTRYSIZE - 1;
     mapaddr = mmap(NULL,        // start address (hint)
                    mapsize,     // size
                    PROT_READ,   // protection
                    MAP_SHARED,  // flags
                    fd,          // file descriptor
***                (off_t)0 );         // file offset
     if((caddr_t)(-1) == mapaddr)
         PRINTERRMSG("mmap() failed.");
     maxoffset = getbase(entryNum); //
\xbe\xef\xa4\xcb\xc5\xf9\xa4\xb7\xa4\xa4

     scores = new int[TYPENUM + 1];
     short int *p = (short int *)((char *)mapaddr +
                                  ENTRYSIZE * entryNum +
sizeof(pos_t));
     scores[0] = 1;
     for(int i = 0; i < TYPENUM; i++)