Re: [tlug] Japanese Word-Processing in Gentoo

On Sat, Feb 15, 2003 at 12:15:19PM +0900, alias Ryan Shaw wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I need to do some Japanese word-processing on my
> Gentoo box, and I was wondering what the Gentoo
> users out there are using for this task.

I've found that openoffice-bin worked quite well for me, with the added
bonus of allowing me to print Japanese (which didn't work with anything
else in Gentoo---using Jonathan's beloved CUPS.)

However, I haven't upgraded in awhile, and I do remember seeing on the
lists that something was a bit borked for awhile.

I did have to call it with that little script of

XMODIFERS="@example.com=kinput2" LANGUAGE=en_US LC_CTYPE=ja_JP ${1+"$@"} &

(with ooffice or soffice, depending upon the version as the argument.)

I had no luck with Abiword, but didn't try very hard.

HTH

--

Scott Robbins

PGP keyID EB3467D6

Xander: I laugh in the face of danger.  Then I hide until it
goes away