[tlug] keyboard layout/encoding q

Hi All,

  This is my first post on this list so here goes :)

I have three questions:

While in Japan I brought back (amongst other stuff) a 106key
j-keyboard. I was wondering under X can I enable the "deadkeys"
on it so kinput can use the kana-converter buttons to do what they
were actually made for?

Also can I use this keyboard layout to do direct input of kana
ie one key does "ro" anther "ya" etc.. ?

My last question relates to character encoding, which after the
big sylpheed discussions, I'm sure you're all bored to death with :)

I notice that most people I keep in contact with in Japan whether
via mail composer, web browser or keitai to use a standard EUC/SJIS
format is a bit of a pipe dream. Hence not everyone is able to
read japanese text emails. If emails are encoded say from
sylpheed then anyone on a keitai etc should be able to read
it as long as the charset encoding is ISO-JP2022 right?
(Irrespective of underlying euc/sjis/utf encoding)

I was almost going to pipe mail through nkf/kakasi but this may
be pointless if the JP2022 standard is universally recognized.

thanks again!

matthew