Re: [tlug] upgrde rpm

On Mon, Jan 27, 2003 at 11:24:44PM +0900, Stuart Bouyer wrote:

> I would be very wary of automating any upgrades on a server - especially
> if it provides essential services. Call me paraanoid, but I like to make
> sure that all server upgrades are tested to ensure that they don't break
> anything that is needed before I apply them to the server.

Your concerns are legitimate, but once you pass a certain threshold
(10-15 servers, 1 admin?), you really need a system to keep things
updated without spending all your time configuring, compiling and
testing.

I use autoupdate and all I have to do is keep one repository of tested
and verified updates. To update a server, all you do is run one command
and it will check that repository and figure out what it needs to do.

You can tell it not to do update certain packages unless you specify them
explicitly (the kernel, for example) so there is little chance of failure.
There are still certain things that I dont update this way, but they are
still semi-automated. Apache for example.

Its also wise to start with non-critical servers so if there is anything
wrong, it gets caught early and without causing too much damage. And off
course for the really critical servers, you should schedule most updates
and be prepared for the worst, even for minor changes.

--
A. Sajjad Zaidi
System Administrator