Re: [tlug] CD-UDF on Linux (RH8)

On Sat, 25 Jan 2003 18:10:16 +0900 (JST), Charles Muller <acmuller@example.com>
wrote to tlug@example.com:

> When I attempted to write, the message was the drive was read-only. I set
> the permissions for writing, but this had no effect.

My guess is that RH (wisely) hasn't supplied UDF-write capabilities in the
kernel. Even in the latest 2.4.20 it is considered experimental and
dangerous.

Dangerous or not, it should be discouraged. When you "format" a CD in packet
mode you start by losing about 100 megs of capacity. Secondly, no Windows
user can read the CD without appropriate software. Finally, if you can burn
multisession CD-R's there really is no need for UDF-write support.

http://www.sgms-centre.com/linux/howto/cdwriting

--
G. Stewart   --   gstewart@example.com
                  gstewart@example.com

GnuPG key  : BA3D01C6 (pgp.mit.edu)
Fingerprint: C3DF C686 6572 6E59 E3E4  0F40 2B9A 2218 BA3D 01C6
Everything that can be invented has been invented.
                -- Charles Duell, Director of U.S. Patent Office, 1899