Re: [tlug] Finding Device Assignment

On Fri, Jan 17, 2003 at 05:40:41PM +0900, Botond Botyanszki wrote......

> On Fri, 17 Jan 2003 17:29:46 +0900 (JST)
> Charles Muller <acmuller@example.com> wrote:
>
> > I just installed an external SCSI hard drive, and would like to assign it
> > some mounting specifications in FSTAB, but I don't know how the Linux system
> > identified it when I installed it (such as /dev/sda5, etc.). This is on
> > RH 8.0, and I can normally get this information with the RH Hardware Browser
> > applet, but this applet is broken at the moment (I'm still waiting for my
> > answer from RHN support as to how to fix it). Is there somewhere else that
> > this information might be accessible without the RH Browser?
> Take a look at `dmesg` and /proc/partitions.
> If nothing related shows up, you probably have to load some modules (sg, etc).
> The SCSI howto might be useful to read.

A very nice utility to use to help figure out the in's/out's of SCSI
devices is:

sg_utils

which can be found at:

http://www.torque.net/sg/u_index.html
or
http://freshmeat.net/releases/92234/

If you use Debian, just type:

apt-get install sg3-utils

It's a nice command line utility.

After you install sg_utils, as root, type

sg_scan -i     // to see scsi type devices on your system

sg_map         // to see scsi device associations

HTH.

Bye

Kevin

--