Re: [tlug] Pasokon Koubou

Jonathan Byrne wrote:

> Strongly seconded.  It's not only a good education, but it ensures
> you are getting a PC made of standard parts that are easily upgradeable
> at any time.

The thing is, I have never upgraded (except for buying more memory once).
Once you upgrade you get a new mobo. That will need a new case and faster
memory. Well you could keep your pci cards, but usually you video board will
be outdated buy the time of the "upgrade".

> If you want recommendations, I'm sure TLUGgers would be happy to
> recommend some of their favorite parts, as well as some of the
> ones to steer clear of.

I have been satisfied with asus, as well as with my abit kt7 mainboard.
ASUS is also good at cdrom drives. Not a while ago I got an ASUS dvd reader,
it's just as good.

> On video cards, my recommendation is a Matrox G450 or G550 unless you
> are a serious gamer (but if you are, then you're probably not running
> Linux).  Their 3-D accel doesn't match what you get out of the
> Nvidia chips and such, but their 2-D is still the best in the business,
> and 2-D is usually the most important thing for Linux people.

We had this argument on the list a while ago. BTW, is this 2D quality
difference still true with TFT monitors?

> Check out Tom's Hardware for good mobo reviews.

Yes, this is definitely a good start. Then at least you will now what to get
at the shop, and you will get what you read.

> onboard Promise RAID (0 and 1),

any experience with IDE RAID? Recently there was an article on /. about this,
the comments were kinda mixed.

> Plextor CD burners are top-notch, and if you want a SCSI board,
> Adaptec is the only name you need to know.

This two I'll keep until the end of times :)