Re: [tlug] Pasokon Koubou

On Thu, Dec 19, 2002 at 12:46:41AM +0900, Botond Botyanszki wrote:

>Once you upgrade you get a new mobo. That will need a new case and faster
>memory.

I've been using the same PC-133 SDRAM for a long time.  Depends on
what kind of memory you buy in the first place.  I've never replaced
a case at the same time as the mobo, except once - when I moved
from AT to ATX.

> Well you could keep your pci cards, but usually you video board will
>be outdated buy the time of the "upgrade".

The G200 I sold when I left Japan still had better (clearer, sharper)
2-D than my FeForce2 MX 200 or TNT 2.  Depends on your definition of
"outdated" :-)

All of my machines have been upgraded piecemeal.  I had an AT box in
which nothing was original but the case and powersupply, which was
still going strong 7 years after I bought it (they don't make ones
like that anymore; I hate that having a spare power supply on hand
needs to be viewed as a must these days).

>I have been satisfied with asus, as well as with my abit kt7 mainboard.

Abit are nice, too.  I had a BP6 and it was great.

>We had this argument on the list a while ago. BTW, is this 2D quality
>difference still true with TFT monitors?

I don't know, have never owned a TFT monitor except on a notebook
machine, but even the best ones I've seen in stores are only as
good as a middle-of-the-road CRT and cost many times the price
while offering no control over things like color temperature.

>any experience with IDE RAID? Recently there was an article on /. about this,
>the comments were kinda mixed.

Ain't as good as a nice SCSI RAID, but then, it doesn't cost hundreds
of dollars, either.

Jonathan
--
GPG key: DF12B4EF (5399 C834 3ABB C3AF 610C  5345 D5D6 E6EA DF12 B4EF)
gpg --keyserver pgp.mit.edu --recv-keys  DF12B4EF