Re: [tlug] Japan to Study Linux Software

Sergio Bayona wrote:
> An article I read in Slashdot indicates that the Japanese government is
> looking at the possibility of using Linux for their business and its
> providing funds to promote the research. Is anyone from TLUG informed or
> directly involved in this matter?? It would be interesting if some can
> fill us in with the details.

METI (www.meti.go.jp) has presented keynote at Linux Conference in Sept.
 According to the speech, it is rather "open source" than linux.
Indeed, a significant amount of IPv6 development has been done on *BSD
in Japan.

> The funny thing is that they are asking Microsoft people for the advice
> (and apparently paying them). Doesn’t this seem like a conflict between
> the government (the people’s interest) and private business interests???

Linux will never be _the only_ OS the goernments use.  Windows, TRON,
Macintosh and many others will survive.

--
BABA Yoshihiko