Re: [tlug] Japan to Study Linux Software

Sergio Bayona wrote:
>providing funds to promote the research. Is anyone from TLUG informed or
>directly involved in this matter?? It would be interesting if some can fill
>us in with the details.

This is the first I've heard about the Japanese government having any interest
in linux, but I've worked for that government for 3 years and I'd say, don't
expect any change anytime too soon.  I can't imagine why they'd even want to
change, really.  Maybe at the server level, for some things, but even then.
Please keep in mind that not only the Japanese-- but _any_ government, is, by
definition, the most inefficient instituition known to mankind.  I would think
the Japanese government in particular would benefit from the support and service
that MS and it's partners can offer.  Not really sure about how a linux company
could measure up, with what the government would require... I'm thinking things
like graphical user interfaces would be a major factor.

Also, the article says "Japan lags behind Germany, the United States, China and
other nations looking into or using open-source software such as Linux, which
can be used and modified for free."  For one thing, Japan can afford to be that
way, and besides, how have those other governments modified open-source
software?  I'm curious to see any innovations.  As for China, of course they
like free, open-source (many know how many valid licenses of software they have
over there, but does anyone know if this has this changed much in recent
years?)... it's not Microsoft " 's " software over there, isn't it "the
people's" software?

>The funny thing is that they are asking Microsoft people for the advice (and
>apparently paying them). Doesn?t this seem like a conflict between the
>government (the people?s interest) and private business interests???

Yes, that's interesting-- but perhaps, they put them on a panel to give the
commercial business side a chance to continue selling a proven product, and to
maybe counter specific claims about open-source promises.  I certainly think
they'd deserve a chance to be heard, because with the many promises of how much
better/cheaper open-source software is, the total cost of ownership might be
ignored-- not to mention the over-riding principle that if you decide to switch
your servers to linux for security reasons or whatever, you still have to be
responsible and paying attention.

I'm interested to see where this goes though, thanks for the link.

David Boudreau