Re: [tlug] LAN Bridge and Proxy

On Sun, 10 Nov 2002 18:10:33 +0900, "Zou Jun Qing" <jqzou@example.com>
wrote to tlug@example.com:

> Well, I would like to be instructed that how I can configure my RH8.0
> workstation as something like the "Internet Gateway" in Win XP.

The function you're looking for is called IP masquerading, or IP_MASQ. There
are plenty of documents on the web explaining how to achieve this.

http://www.google.com/linux?hl=en&lr=&ie=ISO-8859-1&q=%22ip+masquerading%22

Apache can be set up to work as a proxy, but is this what you really want to
do? If you don't get it right you would wind up with an open proxy and get
blacklisted all over the place, and IP masquerading will allow client
machines to access the web directly.

--
G. Stewart   --   gstewart@example.com
                  gstewart@example.com

GnuPG key  : BA3D01C6 (pgp.mit.edu)
Fingerprint: C3DF C686 6572 6E59 E3E4  0F40 2B9A 2218 BA3D 01C6