Re: [tlug] XMODIFIERS and segmentation faults

On Thu, Nov 07, 2002 at 09:54:25AM +0900, Stuart Bouyer wrote:
> On ???, 2002-11-07 at 08:21, David Santinoli wrote:
> >
> > Hi TLUGgers,
> Howdy David,
>
> >   I'm running a RH 7.2, and some days ago decided to upgrade XFree to
> > 4.2.1 (trying to get support for an Aiptek graphic tablet).
> >
> > Since the upgrade, a very weird thing started to happen. Almost every
> > GTK app I ran (Mozilla, ee, gqview, gimp...) crashed with a SEGV.
> >
> > After some debugging, I came to the conclusion that XMODIFIERS was the
> > one to blame, and discovered that if I changed its value from the
> > original "@example.com=kinput2" to "@example.com=none" or "@example.com=" (or unset it altogether)
> > things started to work again.
> >

> I'm using Gentoo and had the exact same problems, I only fixed it by
> playing around with my locale settings. I assume that I had
> inadvertently created a mix of locale settings that confused gtk+ or
> gnome and caused them to segfault.
>
> I tweaked Scott's langx wrapper to be
> #!/bin/bash
> XMODIFIERS="@example.com=kinput2" LANGUAGE=en_US LANG=ja_JP.eucJP
> LC_ALL=ja_JP.eucJP ${1+"$@"} &
>
> Note should be 2 lines!!.

I'll get that info up on the page in a day or so--right now, we're
having major problems at work so I may not get the chance till the
weekend.

(I've been in FreeBSD and haven't upgraded X--also, for FreeBSD I use
Jonathan Katz-Brown's script which doesn't use LC_CTYPE--hrm, does
FreeBSD have that?--so haven't experienced the problem myself.)

Thanks

--

Scott

GPG KeyID EB3467D6
( 1B848 077D 66F6 9DB0 FDC2  A409 FA54 D575 EB34 67D6)

Buffy: She's playing you. She tried to kill you.
Angel: That was just. . . That was just a cry for help.
Buffy: A cry for help is when you say Help in a loud
voice.