Re: [tlug] XMODIFIERS and segmentation faults

On 木, 2002-11-07 at 08:21, David Santinoli wrote:

> Hi TLUGgers,
Howdy David,

>   I'm running a RH 7.2, and some days ago decided to upgrade XFree to
> 4.2.1 (trying to get support for an Aiptek graphic tablet).
>
> Since the upgrade, a very weird thing started to happen. Almost every
> GTK app I ran (Mozilla, ee, gqview, gimp...) crashed with a SEGV.
>
> After some debugging, I came to the conclusion that XMODIFIERS was the
> one to blame, and discovered that if I changed its value from the
> original "@example.com=kinput2" to "@example.com=none" or "@example.com=" (or unset it altogether)
> things started to work again.
>
> Note that with XMODIFIERS set to "@example.com=kinput2" applications crashed
> regardless of whether kinput2 was actually running or not (with one
> remarkable exception, gjiten, which would run fine with kinput2 running
> and crash otherwise).
>
> Did anybody experience anything of the sort? (I remember a message
> about Mozilla segfaulting after a XFree upgrade appeared on this list a
> few days ago).

I'm using Gentoo and had the exact same problems, I only fixed it by
playing around with my locale settings. I assume that I had
inadvertently created a mix of locale settings that confused gtk+ or
gnome and caused them to segfault.

I tweaked Scott's langx wrapper to be
#!/bin/bash
XMODIFIERS="@example.com=kinput2" LANGUAGE=en_US LANG=ja_JP.eucJP
LC_ALL=ja_JP.eucJP ${1+"$@"} &

Note should be 2 lines!!.

If I don't set LC_ALL then I get segfalts, check out Scott's homepage
for the original script.
http://home.nyc.rr.com/computertaijutsu/jpninpt.html

hope this helps

Stu