[tlug] XMODIFIERS and segmentation faults

Hi TLUGgers,
  I'm running a RH 7.2, and some days ago decided to upgrade XFree to
4.2.1 (trying to get support for an Aiptek graphic tablet).

Since the upgrade, a very weird thing started to happen. Almost every
GTK app I ran (Mozilla, ee, gqview, gimp...) crashed with a SEGV.

After some debugging, I came to the conclusion that XMODIFIERS was the
one to blame, and discovered that if I changed its value from the
original "@example.com=kinput2" to "@example.com=none" or "@example.com=" (or unset it altogether)
things started to work again.

Note that with XMODIFIERS set to "@example.com=kinput2" applications crashed
regardless of whether kinput2 was actually running or not (with one
remarkable exception, gjiten, which would run fine with kinput2 running
and crash otherwise).

Did anybody experience anything of the sort? (I remember a message
about Mozilla segfaulting after a XFree upgrade appeared on this list a
few days ago).

Ciao
 David
--