[tlug] Japanese font / input settings for Kmail

I've set up my ~/.bashrc file to do Japanese input which works properly with
Mozilla only, enabling me to do Japanese web searches.

However I'm still getting mojibake when converting hiragana to kanji using
other programs (kmail, kword etc).

My question is what font should I choose I choose when using these software
programs, or how can I configure these to sucessfully input and view
Japanese.

Thanks
Graeme