Re: [tlug] Japanese font / input settings for Kmail

On Tue, 29 Oct 2002 11:35:38 +0900
Graeme Jensen   <shoreleave33@example.com> wrote:

> I've set up my ~/.bashrc file to do Japanese input which works
> properly with
> Mozilla only, enabling me to do Japanese web searches.
You forgot to include what you put in your .bashrc.
Just because it works with mozilla doesn't mean it's perfect.

> However I'm still getting mojibake when converting hiragana
> to kanji using
> other programs (kmail, kword etc).
I guess this doesn't mean hiragana shows up properly.

> My question is what font should I choose I choose when
> using these software
> programs, or how can I configure these to sucessfully input and view
> Japanese.
gtk1/gnome1 is a bit broken in this viewpoint. You will have to tweak your
gtkrc.ja a little to change fonts. Using the gnome-control-center for
changing fonts won't work with Japanese (at least for me it doesn't).

I'm also interested in configuring fontsets (with Japanese) for
gnome2/gtk2, someone maybe can shed some light on pangox.aliases or
whatever.

From the apps it seems that you use KDE.
There is a webpage of a listmember about Japanese&KDE, though I don't know
the url. But now that the archives work...