Re: [tlug] IPv6

I've been wondering the same thing.  I've looked at the pages for it and of course it solves the problems of diminishing address space, but what else?
There's multicast, but I don't really have a need or desire to watch video over the web - I don't even watch TV...

Actually, some of the 'advantages' of IPv6 make me a bit uneasy - from a cursory glance, it looks like your machine is much more identifiable than if it were running that Intel processor ID from a while back.  I know that IPv4 isn't exactly anonymous, but at least I understand the implications a bit better.

Looking at the websites, I see a few HOWTO documents, but what I really wanted to see was a WHY document - what can I really do with it that I can't with v4?  Don't get the idea that I'm somehow against v6 - I really haven't formed an opinion.

Like a lot of people, I make do with one dynamic IP at home and I manage to do a *lot* with NAT, VPN and subnetting.  (Apache has the ability to serve up a site based upon the name by which it was called;  If routers could do NAT this way, instead of by port, I can't see that I'd ever need more than one IP address for home or a small site...)

I think this would be an *excellent* topic for a technical meeting.  Anyone else?
(It looks like there was one back in '98 featuring IMASY - has anyone been using them for this? )

Cheers,
Jim

On Mon, 28 Oct 2002 09:51:34 +0900
"Uva Coder" <uvacoder@example.com> wrote:

> From: "Yamagata Hiroo" <hiyori13@example.com>
> > Does anyone have any experience with IPv6?
>
> Yes, I`ve been running IPv6 under Linux and a few other
> operating systems for several years.
>
> > Suddently I had some sort of
> > an urge to kind of try it out, but then is there any practical
> > application that makes good use of IPv6 out there? (Xcast6?)
>
> Yes, there are numerous applications and services that make use of IPv6.
> Here is a short list: Nautilis-mozilla, vsftpd, dhcp, bitchx, xchat, xmms,
> eggdrop, icecast, bind, exim, qmail, fetchmail, and apache.
>
> To be blown away by the progress that IPv6 networking has made
> recently, see: http://www.hs247.com.
>
> -- Uva  Coder  uvacoder@example.com
>     President, Tokyo Plan 9 Users Group

> please see instructions at
> http://www.tlug.jp/list.html

Jim O'Connell
Global Dining System Support
jim at global-dining dot co dot jp
Key fingerprint = 8EE8 44E0 320A 4718 C76B  AD5F 91EB B996 EB45 F83B
gpg --keyserver pgp.mit.edu --recv-keys EB45F83B