[tlug] Re: Linux-bashing & mail clients

Quoth Matt Gushee (Sat 2002-10-26 12:41:11PM -0600):

> > And let me quote someone else here:
> > Josh Glover wrote:
> >
> > > 1) This list is not an appropriate forum for venting about how hard
> > >    Linux is to learn / use / understand. I would suggest Microsoft
> > >    advocacy lists for that sort of thing.
>
> It's easy to agree with that statement in principle. The trouble is that
> there's no objective way to distinguish between friendly criticism and
> bashing

You are correct, and that is part of the reason that I am here. I have to
make the SUBjective decision on whether I think someone is criticising a
shortcoming of Linux, which is perfectly on-topic and valid, or whether
someone is just blowing off steam because they are frustrated that they
cannot get something working the way they want.

We have all been frustrated, and I have certainly written venting emails to
friends that I would not consider appropriate for this list. Which is why I
do not send such things to the list.

A key phrase that helps me to identify venting is: "I hate Linux!" That is
not always proof, but it sure is an indicator.

In summation, complaining is not really on-topic for this list, but pointing
out shortcomings is dead-on.

-Josh

--
Josh Glover <josh@example.com>

Listmaster
Tokyo Linux Users Group (TLUG)
http://www.tlug.jp/

GPG keyID 0x62386967 (7479 1A7A 46E6 041D 67AE  2546 A867 DBB1 6238 6967)
gpg --keyserver pgp.mit.edu --recv-keys 62386967