Linux-bashing & mail clients (was Re: "[tlug] Re: ISDN" a subject that didn't exist)

On Sun, Oct 27, 2002 at 01:54:34AM +0900, Botond Botyanszki wrote:

> > I did't specify the time. It was two years ago.
>
> That's the point that you forgot to say in your linux-bashing post. So bear the
> consequences.

Linux-bashing? I didn't think he was doing that.

> And let me quote someone else here:
> Josh Glover wrote:
>
> > 1) This list is not an appropriate forum for venting about how hard Linux is
> >    to learn / use / understand. I would suggest Microsoft advocacy lists for
> >    that sort of thing.

It's easy to agree with that statement in principle. The trouble is that
there's no objective way to distinguish between friendly criticism and
bashing--unless you take the position that any mention of the real or
perceived shortcomings of Linux constitutes Linux-bashing. The latter
attitude (which, fortunately, I haven't seen much on the TLUG list)
reminds me of a certain mentally disturbed U.S. President--"You're
either with us or against us."

Linux didn't become great, and won't stay great, by persecuting critics.

On Sat, Oct 26, 2002 at 04:34:13PM +0200, Pietro Zuco wrote:

> The only thing I wanted to say is that It's not important the mail client that
> people use,

I disagree. Outlook spreads viruses, and unless people make the effort
to configure it properly, spews out all sorts of annoying formatting
crud that wastes bandwidth and can make it hard for people with normal
standards-compliant e-mail clients to read the messages.

On the other hand, we shouldn't blow it out of proportion. As you say:

> the only important thing is to talk about interesting topics and
> to learn more about Linux in peace!

If you change "the only" to "the most," I fully agree with that.

mgushee@example.com           its fields;
                            Horses bear soldiers through
                                its streets.

                            --Lao Tzu (Peter Merel, trans.)