Re: [tlug] Internet Speed Question??

On 火, 2002-10-22 at 05:48, Josh Glover wrote:
> Quoth Gavin Rollins (Tue 2002-10-22 12:30:46AM +0900):
> >
> > I'm trying to download RH 8.0 from redhat.com running gftp. My connection is
> > B-Flets fiber optic. My router is a "PCI BRL-04ex Road Lanner capable of upto
> > 30Mbps.... I tried downloading via my win box and I had a dl speed of 53.4
> > KB/s what gives here or am I missing someting??
>
> I would imagine that the latency is on the Internet. The fact that you are
> downloading from redhat.com (a pretty busy site) is another reason to suspect
> that the latency is not on your end.

Also a lot of sites (especially the ones with high traffic) cap the
speed of a single link so that one broadband user doesn't suck all the
bandwidth on their site. Also some smaller sites might not have
bandwidth equal to 30Mbps for their whole site.

If you want to milk the best results from your connection you need a
download program like prozilla that will connect multiple times to a
site and each connection will dl part of the program. The windoze
equivalent is Download Accelerator.

Stu