Re: [tlug] USBDNet for Zaurus and RH 7.2

> Now I'm really sorry that I missed the Linux PDA meeting :)

You're still cordially invited to flock to our mailing list, which I
completely forgot to post the link for: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/zok.
Or pop me a mail, I can subscribe you manually, except that you'll need a
Yahoo!-ID to access the archive and database and stuff. By they way, we're
having a meeting at the Linux Cafe this coming Saturday, 28 September,
morning from 9:30, at the large friendly table right under the aircon.

> I've downloaded the patch from
> http://www.ruault.com/Zaurus/ethernet-over-usb-howto.html
> and kernel 2.4.19 (and a few other versions).

I am quite positive that these will probably not work, even if you manage to
get your make problem solved, because Sharp changed the model ID to be
recognised by the kernel from the 5500 to the A300. Luckily, they provided a
patch of their own, at
http://more.sbc.co.jp/sl_j/tool/tools.htm#Support_Tool

I still haven't managed to get it to work in Mandrake (in spite of help by
the guy who wrote the Mandrake paragraph on the site you mentioned), but
Sharp says they tested it inhouse with Red Hat only and absolutely do not
expect to run it with the usbdnet module from the Ruault site because of the
different CPU in the A300 patati patata, so no real surprise there. I was
going to check the source RPM and stuff my other penguin (of the Gentoo
variety) with it to give it a try there, but unfortunately had to give back
the A300 I borrowed for the presentation... Any donors? :-]

Cheers
Ulrich Plate