Re: [tlug] Notebook Question

On Sat, 14 Sep 2002 13:43:46 +1000 (EST), Jim Breen
<jwb@example.com> squashed this out of the keyboard:

> (b) I'm having trouble setting my hostname. It was suggested in March
> that I use "HOSTNAME=...." in /etc/sysconfig/network, but this time that
> broke a few things and stopped X from launching.

You have to do that, also obviously "# hostname new_name".

I don't remember whether RH reads from /etc/HOSTNAME at boot time or whether
that file gets written to. On Slackware, it is read and the hostname set
from it.

Finally, you have to create the entry for new_name in your /etc/hosts
otherwise you *will* run into problems with applications which require the
machine's IP - X is one.

--
G. Stewart   --   gstewart@example.com
                  gstewart@example.com

GnuPG key  : BA3D01C6 (pgp.mit.edu)
Fingerprint: C3DF C686 6572 6E59 E3E4  0F40 2B9A 2218 BA3D 01C6