Re: [tlug] Games

Quoth Bruno Raoult (Fri 2002-09-13 12:50:05AM +0900):

> As an example, I bought all Loki games, and was hoping all
> Linux users would do the same.
> Apparently, as it failed completely, Linux users *DO NOT
> WANT TO PAY* for any software, including commercials...

I am not sure if Loki failed because all Linux users want stuff for
free or there are just not enough Linux-only gamers out there to
support what they were doing.

For example (and, as you will see by my survey answers), I do not game
much, but when I do, it is on the console. Period. I do not use my
computer for gaming (and did not even when I ran Windows, years ago).

I also know a lot of people who do everything in Linux, but keep a
Windows partition around *only* for gaming.

I think the biggest problem for Loki is that the Windows or console
versions of games came out long before their ports, so only people
whose loyalty to Linux was stronger than their desire to play game X
actually held out for the Loki port, months after the Windows version
was available.

> I am now trying transgaming (which I still need to pay,
> and I have no problem with that), and I play nice
> Diablo II or Warcraft III games.

Transgaming, IMO, has a *much* better business model: let Linux users
play the Windows versions of games without rebooting.

> My questions (poll, if you have 5 minutes) are:

Sure.

> 1) Do you play computer games?

Rarely.[1][2]

> 2) Which OS(s)/Console(s) do you use to play computer games?

Usually PS2, sometimes DreamCast, but almost never Linux.[1]

> 3) Do you play W$ games with your Linux system?

Never have.

> 4) Do you play only GPL games on your Linux system?

Hell no. I have nothing against commercial software in general.[2]

> 5) Do you have a dual boot for playing some games?

Nope.

> 4) Do you agree to pay for games for your Linux box?

Sure, if they are compelling enough to make me shrug off my "I do not
game on my computer" attitude. Neverwinter Nights looks like such a
game.

> 5) If you knew about Loki, how many games did you buy?
>    (-1 = you did not know about Loki)

0. [1]

> 6) Do you have transgaming version of Wine?

Nyet.

> 7) If 6 is yes, does it work?

N/A

> 7) Other remarks, questions...

What do you plan on doing with this data? I would love to see you make
some graphs or something and put them up on a website. Maybe even the
TLUG website, as it seems to be a good poll.

> PS. Perl sucks & Diablo II rocks, especially after midnight :-)

Hrm.

> PPS. And <new troll>perl sucks anyway, java rocks</new troll>

Die, you Java-loving Pinko! Give me C++ or give me bloody and painful
death! ;)

--Josh

[1] I was a beta tester for a few games for Loki, most memorably
Kohan, which I think is one of the three best RTS games ever made!
(The other two being WarCraft II and Age of Empires II.) (Fuck
StarCraft.) ;)

[2] I am an on-again, off-again member of the Adonthell
(http://adonthell.linuxgames.com/) development team, and I play the
demos as they come out, partially for beta-testing, partially because
the game r0X0rz! :)

--
Josh Glover <jmglov@example.com>

Associate Systems Administrator
INCOGEN, Inc.
http://www.incogen.com/

GPG keyID 0x62386967 (7479 1A7A 46E6 041D 67AE  2546 A867 DBB1 6238 6967)
gpg --keyserver pgp.mit.edu --recv-keys 62386967