Re: [tlug] Notebook Question

Regarding laptop, I recommend NOT to buy the cheapest ones no matter
what brand you choose.  In my case with HP's (wrong choise?) Omnibook,
its Trident is not supported by the standard X but only with SuSE's, and
it was four years after I got the laptop.

mocm@example.com wrote:
> Jonathan Byrne writes:
>  > QLI Tech sells iBooks, Powerbooks, and desktop Macs with
>  > OS X plus your choice of SuSE PPC, Gentoo PPC, Debian PPC, or
>  > Mandrake PPC.  The default is Gentoo(!).  Oddly, they don't
>  > offer Yellow Dog as a choice, although it seems quite popular
>  > with Mac users.
>  >  > If anyone out there is running Linux on Mac, which of
>  > the above distros would you choose, and why?
>  > For easy installation, I would say Mandrake PPC or Yellow Dog, with a
> tendency to Mandrake. Mandrake was more up to date with the graphics
> support, but Yellow Dog was also o.k.. SuSE had trouble with everything.
> For easy upgrade I would say Debian. Both Mandrake and Yellow Dog had
> some problems and SuSE will probably change everything when going to
> 8.0.

No one mentions LinuxPPC?  It is rpm based and the most similar to
RedHat in PPC world, I think.

> Staying with OSX is also ok, you just need to get X11 running and you
> are set. It's a bit problematic when you have to download everything
> from the net. Right now I tend to boot into Mandrake with my
> Powerbook, OSX just doesn't feel completely comfortable, at least with
> rootless X11. I don't like the configuration via mouse click and the
> files are sometimes hard to find. NIS and autofs was a pain to set up.

Personally, I think MacOSX based Mac is the easiest to install, since it
is installed when you buy it.  But it is not Linux, nor IBM AT
compatible (won't run windows).

--
BABA Yoshihiko