Re: [tlug] Re: typing in Japanese (Red Hat 7.2)

Tried as you suggested.
 and got this

# kate -inputstyle overthespot
_KDE_IceTransmkdir: Owner of /tmp/.ICE-unix should be set t
o root
DCOPServer up and running.

Kate did open but I couldn't type Japanese using either the shift+space key
or the change key (hangaku / zengaku) at the top left corner of the keyboard.