[tlug] Stopping Spam and viruses

Any good ideas or hints on stopping spam and or viruses.  I haven't got any
viruses yet but am getting spammed heaps.

I have the following connection to the internet using Yahoo BB.

Yahoo Modem >>>>>Corega BAR SW -4P PRO Access Router/switching Hub >>>>>
(computer 1) windows 98   (computer 2) Red Hat Linux7.2.

Both computers are running as peers.  Should I do some firewall
reconfiguration?
 Any good ant virus software I should download??

THANKS IN ADVANCE