Re: [tlug] bandwidth statistic generaing program?

On Sat, Aug 17, 2002 at 01:47:27PM +0900, Jean-Christian Imbeault wrote:

>cfgmaker. As you can see the problem is that it is saying "Max Speed: 10
>Mbits". I don't know where that comes from and why it mrtg would think so.
>It has me a little worried.

Take a look for $if_tyoe in the cfgmaker man page.  It says, in part,
"This is an integer specifying the interface type as per the SNMP
standards and as reported by the polled device."  It then goes on
to give a list of common interface types (if you look at the
cfgmaker code (perl) you'll get a complete list, as well as an
embedded copy of the man page).  The type code for Fast Ether is
62, and it may be that the card is not reporting 62.

To check your current care settings, you can use mii-tool.
Here's an example:

/sbin/mii-tool eth0
eth0: negotiated 100baseTx-FD, link ok

If it reports you are at 10 rather than 100, you could
use mii-tool to force it to 100, and you can also
force full or half duplex.  If you want to be safe (and
you probably do, since this is a server), you
might want to go onsite before you start messing with
the ethernet, unless you have an alternate access backdoor,
such as modem dial-in.

If you find that it's at 10, you could try forcing it to 100
and see if it then reports itself as a fast ethernet card.
If it's at 100 and it's reporting itself as 10 via
SNMP, you could either just leave it as-is (your're not
using much bandwidth anyway) or force MRTG to see it as
100 (don't know how off the top of my head, I'll leave that
research as an exercise for the reader, but it can be done).

HTH,

Jonathan

GPG key: DF12B4EF (5399 C834 3ABB C3AF 610C  5345 D5D6 E6EA DF12 B4EF)