[tlug] Exim mail server

Based on advice from TLUG members I decided to implement Exim as my MTA
(mail transport agent).

Exim has a bazillion configurations options and it's default configuration
is quite limited. It *might* be easier than sendmail but it's still a pretty
serious endeavour, especially if you want
  1. allow your users to send mail from external sources
  2. handle multiple domains

especially the first, but both are pretty reasonable expectations.

I'm using vm-pop for POP3 access.

There aren't really any short cuts but if anyone needs help please contact
me, I'll provide whatever assistance I can - I'm thinking about writing an
How-to but don't hold your breath.

The configuration I have now allows for
 * unlimited number of domains and users,
 * users are unique within domains (ie a brett@example.com
   and brett@example.com are unique)
 * remote access via smtp authentication and pop (not
   imap but it might be possible to add on)
 * mail users are not real operating system users
 * passwds are encrupted using old-fashioned passwd file crypt.

Currently passwords submitted are clear, in the future I will add
encryption. I haven't put any spam stuff in yet but there are plenty of
example configs available.

Sincerely
Brett
Inaka-machi