Re: [tlug] Trying FreeBSD

On Friday 12 July 2002 01:29, Josh Glover wrote:
> Gavin wrote:
> > Help,
> >
> > I'm playing with FreeBSD 4.5 and I'm trying to update the ports packages,
> > when I enter the command cvsup supfile, I get a reply saying "Cannot get
> > IP address of my own host..is its host name correct? (yes it is) but if
> > the problem is on my BSD box where do I need to go and check
>
> Oh no! Didn't you read the TLUG List Policy? All discussions of BSD are
> strictly forbidden!* Please cease and desist!
>
> Seriously, I think the problem is that your hostname is not set, or is
> set to something that cannot be resolved with /etc/hosts or DNS. Try this:
>
> dig $HOSTNAME
>
> Does it return an IP address? If not, try adding the hostname of your
> local machine to /etc/hosts:
>
> echo 'a.b.c.d		myhost myhost.mydomain.tld' >> /etc/hosts
>
> where "a.b.c.d" is your IP address, "myhost" is your hostname, and
> "myhost.mydomain.tld" is the FQDN of your host. (The FQDN is optional,
> really, but recommended).
>
> HTH (maybe?)
> -Josh
>
> * The exception, of course, is making fun of OpenSSH, which is
> apparently encouraged... <cringe in anticipation of a dropping tha
> smakk-down> ;)

Josh,

Thanks!! it helped! My system is now updating.. I think.. Josh, I entered the
command cvsup ports-supfile NOT cvsup cvs-supfile.. is there a difference?
Here is a <snip> that I got from the BSD site

You are now ready to try an update. The command line for doing this is quite
simple:
    # cvsup supfile

where supfile is of course the name of the supfile you have just created.
Assuming you are running under X11, cvsup will display a GUI window with some
buttons to do the usual things. Press the ``go'' button, and watch it run.

Since you are updating your actual /usr/src tree in this example, you will
need to run the program as root so that cvsup has the permissions it needs to
update your files. Having just created your configuration file, and having
never used this program before, that might understandably make you nervous.
There is an easy way to do a trial run without touching your precious files.
Just create an empty directory somewhere convenient, and name it as an extra
argument on the command line:

Sorry if I sent to much. ooh, back to the question.. what is the difference
between the two commands? and su-ing to root..how or what is the command?
what group do I need to be in? now in wheel group...what ever group that is
sorry for so many questions. if you can point me in the direction of the
closest URL that can guide me..thanks

Sincerely,

Gavin