Re: [tlug] Trying FreeBSD

Gavin wrote:
> Help,
>
> I'm playing with FreeBSD 4.5 and I'm trying to update the ports packages,
> when I enter the command cvsup supfile, I get a reply saying "Cannot get IP
> address of my own host..is its host name correct? (yes it is) but if the
> problem is on my BSD box where do I need to go and check

Oh no! Didn't you read the TLUG List Policy? All discussions of BSD are
strictly forbidden!* Please cease and desist!

Seriously, I think the problem is that your hostname is not set, or is
set to something that cannot be resolved with /etc/hosts or DNS. Try this:

dig $HOSTNAME

Does it return an IP address? If not, try adding the hostname of your
local machine to /etc/hosts:

echo 'a.b.c.d		myhost myhost.mydomain.tld' >> /etc/hosts

where "a.b.c.d" is your IP address, "myhost" is your hostname, and
"myhost.mydomain.tld" is the FQDN of your host. (The FQDN is optional,
really, but recommended).

HTH (maybe?)
-Josh

* The exception, of course, is making fun of OpenSSH, which is
apparently encouraged... <cringe in anticipation of a dropping tha
smakk-down> ;)

--
Josh Glover <jmglov@example.com>

Associate Systems Administrator