Re: [tlug] buffers & cache (was: Re: Memory 100% used. Is that aBad Thing(tm)?)

    Tobias> Michael Doughty wrote:

    >> Yeah, except that the cached is referencing the swap space, not
    >> the physical mem.

    Tobias> I guess it might be a bit irritating that it's in the same
    Tobias> line beginning with "swap:", but it's not related to swap
    Tobias> anyway.  Compare to free output, where buffers/cache is a
    Tobias> seperate line.

And while you're at it, notice that cache is _added_ to "free" (ie,
brk(2)-able) space, because it's "user-used" but will automatically be
transferred to a process that requests it, while "buffers" is
_subtracted_ from "free" because although it's not user-used, it is
kernel-used, and therefore not available for brk(2)-ing.

And if you understood that, Arthur Andersen, Enron, and KPMG, not to
mention the IRS, could use your services as an accountant.  ;-)