[tlug] S3 Savage4 VGA problem

Hi all,

I'm still enjoying (=configuring:) my newly bought machine. It's a VIA
VT8751 (P4M266) motherboard with S3 Savage4 on-board video chip.
During the installation of RedHat 7.3 I got X w/ no prob. However I
notice three things:

1) automatically selected driver is VESA

2) I get 500 lines of

   mtrr: no more MTRRs available

   during the boot and numerous messages:

   (WW) VESA(0): Failed to set up write-combining range (0x...,0x...)

   during X (4.2.0) startup.

3) although the card has 32M of memory, games like Tux Rider (or
   something, which are supposed to be 2D I think) and video clips
   played with mplayer are _extremely_ slow.

Savage driver (savage_drv.o) as well as its man page (savage 4x) are
installed on my machine. When I change the Device section in
XF86Config-4 to contain

Driver       "savage"

the X server won't start, throwing an error about absent BusID entry
in the config file. lspci gives me the following line for the video
card:

01:00.0 VGA compatible controller: S3 Inc.: Unknown device 8d04

After adding

BusID        "PCI:1:0:0"

to the device section in XF86Config-4 I get "no device found" error.

Of course I searched T*W and tried both XFree86 -configure and
Xconfigurator, the former fails immediately and the latter after
asking me questions about the card and monitor (which I know how to
answer).

I'm hoping someone is using similar card and can provide me with a
tip...

tia

Viktor