Re: [tlug] vi and Japanese

["'aleatory '" ([tlug] vi and Japanese) writes:]
>> At work I telnet to the HP Unix 10.x Japanese box,
>> and use vi to produce programming source files.

You telnet from where? A linux box? Windblows? The appropriate answer
to your question depends on this.

>> I would like to know whether it's possible or not
>> to use vi to input Japanese directly. If this can
>> be done, this will definitely make my life a lot
>> easier.

Well there are several vi versiona that are Japanese-capable: jelvis,
jvim, jstevie, etc. I use one of them on our mail/news server, to which
I connect using ssh from a kterm window here on my Linux system.

Note, however,  that in general:

- the font files generating the glyphs you will see will be on your
*local* system, not on the HP box.
- any IME system you use will be on your local system too.

Hence my opening questions. If you are using Windblows, ISTR you can
run something like NJCOM and get kanji/kana display and IM functions into
a Telnet window. TeraTerm/SSH is a really good secure (well better than
telnet) replacement, and it "does" Japanese too, at least under Win9xJ.

Jim

--
Jim Breen  (j.breen@example.com  http://www.csse.monash.edu.au/~jwb/)
Computer Science & Software Engineering,                Tel: +61 3 9905 3298