Re: [tlug] new computer configuration

On Wed, 26 Jun 2002 20:29:44 -0700 (PDT), nitin kakkar wrote:
> Hi All
>
>   I am getting a new computer for a friend (P4 1.6  IWill MB) , He wants
> Linux (RH 7.2), Win 98 and capability to have more one os like Sun Os,
> Free BSB or XP (just to play around for a while, he wants to change this
> from time to time ).
>
> Also some partition should be shared between Linux and windows.
>
>  The disk he got is 30or 40GB. Can anyone please suggest how  should we
> make the partitions, Win98 does not make them and linux only support 4
> primary partitions so please explain how to make partitions and of what
> type.

First, if you are installing RH use the latest: RH7.3.

Secondly, partitioning may end up being the least of your worries.  Getting
a boot manager properly recognizing all of these OSes isn't trivial, and XP
at least will blow it away on the first install.  I wish you luck, but if
you have volunteered to play the role of free tech support to this guy, you
both are going to be in a world of hurt the first time he tries to load a
new OS.

Michael