Re: [tlug] new computer configuration

Michael Doughty wrote:
> On Wed, 26 Jun 2002 20:29:44 -0700 (PDT), nitin kakkar wrote:
>
>>Hi All
>>
>>  I am getting a new computer for a friend (P4 1.6  IWill MB) , He wants
>>Linux (RH 7.2), Win 98 and capability to have more one os like Sun Os,
>>Free BSB or XP (just to play around for a while, he wants to change this
>>from time to time ).
>>
>>Also some partition should be shared between Linux and windows.
>>
>> The disk he got is 30or 40GB. Can anyone please suggest how  should we
>>make the partitions, Win98 does not make them and linux only support 4
>>primary partitions so please explain how to make partitions and of what
>>type.
>>

> First, if you are installing RH use the latest: RH7.3.
>
> Secondly, partitioning may end up being the least of your worries.  Getting
> a boot manager properly recognizing all of these OSes isn't trivial, and XP
> at least will blow it away on the first install.  I wish you luck, but if
> you have volunteered to play the role of free tech support to this guy, you
> both are going to be in a world of hurt the first time he tries to load a
> new OS.

Which might be why that one guy (I cannot for the life of me remember
who!) recommended VMware. No MBR nightmares, no rebooting to play in
Solaris, no real limit on the number of OSes (or instances of the same
OS), the goodness has few limits.

The downsides? It will cost you $200, IIRC, and it ain't Open Source (or
even GNU/Free, or whatever). You can try before you buy for a month, though.

--
Josh Glover <jmglov@example.com>

Associate Systems Administrator
INCOGEN, Inc.