Re: [tlug] Rack Server Suggestions

Dear Shawn,

Since you specifically mention the Cobalt RaQ4 I figured I should jump
in here and alert you to the security implications of going with a
RaQ.

I have been the admin for one of these for the last 18 months.  Prior
to that I did some work on a RaQ2.  The hardware may be fine, most
people do not seem to have any problems.  We needed a harddisk
replaced.

However, you are paying the premium for the pre-installed GUI &
set-up.  The RaQ4 is most definitely intended for non-experienced
webhosting.  Initially I liked the simplicity of the GUI, but the time
consuming adding of accounts and administering users does get annoying
once you know what you are doing on the command line.

While for simple tasks the web-interface GUI is sufficient, I and
several other UK hosts I know have sworn off them, primarily for
security reasons.  The patches issued are slow and insufficient.  It
ships with telnet enabled and without any ssh installed!  Let me
repeat, normal security patches were issued slowly and insufficiently.
There is, however, a very helpful user community.

Read the security and users lists at:
http://emea.cobalt.com/support/resources/usergroups.html
for more info before seriously considering the Cobalt RaQs.

I have just received Jonathan's message to the list and agree
entirely.  The server installations of various distributions has also
gotten much better and webmin and other packages can make thing
reasonably easy for users.  Build your own.

Good luck!
Tim