Re: [tlug] Rack Server Suggestions

----- Original Message -----
From: <tim@example.com>
> However, you are paying the premium for the pre-installed GUI &
> set-up.  The RaQ4 is most definitely intended for non-experienced
> webhosting.  Initially I liked the simplicity of the GUI, but the time
> consuming adding of accounts and administering users does get annoying
> once you know what you are doing on the command line.
>
> While for simple tasks the web-interface GUI is sufficient, I and
> several other UK hosts I know have sworn off them, primarily for
> security reasons.  The patches issued are slow and insufficient.  It
> ships with telnet enabled and without any ssh installed!  Let me
> repeat, normal security patches were issued slowly and insufficiently.
> There is, however, a very helpful user community.

Ok, this is exactly the type of thing I was worried about.
I had also raised my eyebrow about only telnet, no ssh, as well as the
limited functionality of the GUI.

> A Sajjad Zaidi <A.Sajjad> writes:
>>On Wed, May 01, 2002 at 12:27:26PM +0900, Stephen J. Turnbull wrote:
>>
>> Which other OS, NetBSD or FreeBSD?
>>

>Heheh, ok theyre not that good. The other options are all from M$.

Ack, maybe I will try to build my own then...

Still wondering about hardware... do the 1U's require anything special
because of the difference in shape from a regular PC "box" ?

Shawn