Re: [tlug] Xemacs depends on PostgreSQL?

    Josh> Matt Gushee wrote:
    >> On Mon, May 20, 2002 at 03:19:36PM -0400, Josh Glover wrote:

    >>> I was installing Xemacs from RPM on a Redhat 7.3 system, and
    >>> noticed a strange dependancy on libpq.so.2, which is, tashika
    >>> ni, part of PostgreSQL. Is this just a Redhat-ism, or does
    >>> Xemacs *really* depend on PostgreSQL

    >> Good god, no! Unless somebody compiled it that way, which RH
    >> evidently

That's right.  libpq is not all that big; Debian also compiles in pg
support, I'm pretty sure, but the dependency is acceptable ISTR.

I have a volunteer to turn our PostgreSQL support into a DSO, as the
initial proof-of-concept for a project to DSO-ize many of our library
dependencies.  Don't know how soon that will be a reality, but I'm
looking forward to being able to get rid of all those --with-feature
arguments in the configure script.

    Josh> They did away with the good old emacs-X11 RPM, much to my
    Josh> dismay, and the X version looks terrible.

Debian ships no-X versions of both emacsen, I believe.