Re: [tlug] Xemacs depends on PostgreSQL?

Matt Gushee wrote:
> On Mon, May 20, 2002 at 03:19:36PM -0400, Josh Glover wrote:
>
>>I was installing Xemacs from RPM on a Redhat 7.3 system, and noticed a
>>strange dependancy on libpq.so.2, which is, tashika ni, part of
>>PostgreSQL. Is this just a Redhat-ism, or does Xemacs *really* depend on
>>PostgreSQL
>

> Good god, no! Unless somebody compiled it that way, which RH evidently
> did. <shameless_rant>Another example of why I like to call their product
> "RedBloat."</shameless_rant>

Yeah, there are certain drawbacks to Redhat... ;)

> Compiling XEmacs from source is pretty easy these days.

I'm sure it is. Hell, I have compiled emacs from source, and I cannot
think that Xemacs would be any *harder*. The only reason that I was
installing Xemacs was to see if it was any less offencive than the
X-enabled version of emacs Redhat shipped with RH7.3. They did away with
the good old emacs-X11 RPM, much to my dismay, and the X version looks
terrible.

Oh well, I may just have to use vim!

-Josh