Re: [tlug] kernel compilation questions

A.Sajjad Zaidi wrote:

> Modules are a good thing, but you have to compile in things that are
> needed to boot your system.

Unless I am mistaken, you are. ;) With an init rootdisk, you should (in
theory--I have had limited luck with this) be able to boot off hardware
that is not compiled into your kernel.

Actually case in point, I am booting off a SCSI disk, and SCSI support
is modular for me. The init rootdisk loads the SCSI modules, and boot
happens.

AFAIK, Redhat does things this way, as well, compiling modules for damn
near everything and then doing a mkinitrd to put the initrd in /boot.

--
Josh Glover <jmglov@example.com>

Computer Science Undergrad
"No segfault, no problem!"